Listen and read along
"Althea Gibson: The story of the tennis' fleet-of-foot girl"
Reading comprehension online exercise
Add to Google Classroom to Share with Students as an Assignment
Do you like this exercise? Share it!
Choose the correct answer.
- What is the main idea of the story?
- Althea Gibson rose from difficult beginnings and overcame great obstacles to finally become a legendary champion.
- Fairness in American sports has changed a great deal for the better since Althea Gibson performed as an athlete.
- Althea Gibson was a multi-sport athlete with a great talent for tennis who won many tournaments.
- Althea Gibson won the U.S. Championships after many tries. What does tell you about her character?
- She was very brave.
- She was very determined.
- She was very smart.
- Why didn't many clubs let Althea play tennis?
- Because she was African American.
- Because she wasn't rich.
- Because she was from Harlem.
- How many times did Gibson win the Wimbledon tennis tournament?
- Three times.
- Two times.
- Four times.
- Why did Althea feel lonely when she attended tennis matches?
- Because she had to travel far away from home.
- Because she had no friends.
- Because she was treated different due to her color skin.