THE USE OF NO ARTICLE
1) We use no article with proper names
- Sarah is my cousin.
- Where’s Grandpa Michael?
2) We use no article with uncountable nouns when we are referring in general
- Water is an important resource.
- Fiber is important for the health of the digestive system.
- I love democracy.
- I like listening to music.
- She’s a vegetarian. She doesn’t eat meat.
3) We use no article with plural countable nouns when we are referring in general
- Dogs are commonly referred to as “man's best friend”.
- Rich people think and behave differently.
4) We use no article with the names of language
- Chinese is not more difficult than other languages.
- I’d like to speak French.
5) We use no article with the names of meals
- What would you like for breakfast?
- Lunch is ready!
- I felt sleepy after dinner.
6) We use no article with the names of games or sport
- Baseball is the king of sports in the Dominican Republic.
7) We use no article with the names of days, months, seasons, holidays and parts of the day
- See you on Monday.
- Many Americans celebrate Halloween on October 31.
- I love summer.
- On St. Patrick’s Day everybody wears green.
- Are you coming over for Christmas?
- Mother’s Day celebration in Mexico takes place on May 10.
- The stars shine at night.
- The sun had set, and dusk settled over the ocean.
There are some exceptions with the parts of the day: in the morning / afternoon / evening.
- Asia is Earth's largest and most populous continent.
- I live in Brazil.
- My address is 1520 Green Street.
- She lives near Lake Superior.
- I've climbed Mount Everest.
There are some exceptions: The US (The United States), The UK (The United Kingdom), The Philippines, The Netherlands, The Czech Republic, etc.
9) We use no article with routine places
- I’m going to bed.
- They went to school yesterday.
- I'm at home right now.
- I go to work every day by train.
10) We use no article with means of transport (in expression with by)
- She usually goes to work by bus.
11) We use no article in exclamations with what + uncountable noun
- What beautiful weather!
12) We use no article with academic subjects
- He studied Law at university.
- I like English.
13) We use no article with names of companies
- Bill Gates founded Microsoft.
- Facebook is a popular free social networking website.
14) We use no article with names of universities
- Claire goes to Harvard.
15) We use no article with noun + number
- Charles is staying at the Plaza hotel in room 511.
16) We use no article with year
- 1998 was the best year in film history.