Category: Topics in the syllabus
What is a dictionary entry?
A dictionary entry is a set of information that describes a word or phrase.
Parts of a bilingual entry dictionary
Parts of a dictionary entry
A word or term that begins a separate entry in a reference work. In other words, it's the word you are looking for in a dictionary. For example: bank.
A special spelling that shows how to say the entry word aloud.
Part of speech (Abbreviation)
How the entry word can be used in a sentence.
The meaning of the entry word in the target language.
It gives an example of the word's use in a sentence.
Uses of a dictionary
- To look up the meaning of an English word.
- To check the spelling of a word.
- To find the English translation of a word in your language.
- To check the part of speech of a word.
- To find out how to pronounce a word.
- To find examples of the use of a word.